Every year, a large number of Australia Permanent Residents apply for Australia Citizenship and as September 17 approaches their hope heads north. For those not tuned in, the day in question is celebrated as the Australian Citizenship Day. On this very day, the Australian Government converts some of its permanent residents into citizens of the nation.
Since 2001, the Department of Home Affairs (DHA)–earlier known as the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)–has been promoting the Australian Citizen Day by organizing citizenship and affirmation ceremonies along with other events across the country.
Day by day it’s getting difficult to live overseas in countries, like the US and the UK, due to the tough decisions taken by their respective governments. The ‘Land of Kangaroos’ is probably one overseas hotspot that still has its doors wide open for its immigrants, and thus there is a long queue of aspirants dying to gets its visa even if it means getting a Temporary Visa initially that can later be converted into a Permanent Visa and eventually into Australia Citizenship.
Australia Citizenship–How to Apply?
Well, it’s a not a very difficult thing to do. Many easy-to-follow visa venues are available through which you can get the nation’s much prized and desired citizenship, such as Skilled Visa, Student Visa, etc. You also have the option of marrying an Australian citizen or getting sponsorship from your family or employer to pocket the nation’s citizenship eventually. Check with your visa agent to figure which specific immigration option would suit you the most and how you can make the most of your skills and expertise or knowledge.
Once you become an Australian citizen you can enjoy all the rights and benefits that of those who are born in the country. Some of them are listed below:
- Right to vote, and get elected.
- Right to apply for the prized Australian Passport (it is one of the most powerful passports in the world).
- Right to apply for the public services, defence forces and get selected.
- Your kids born aboard will also enjoy similar status
- You can participate in a specific visa plan with other countries across the world.
- Immunity from being exiled from the country. Unlike the holders of the permanent residence visas and provisional visas, you cannot be sent away from the country.
- If you are abroad, you can take help of Australian embassy, in times of need.
- You are entitled to have citizenship of more than one nation.
- If you have a Australian Passport you can enjoy visa free travel to many nations.
Above mentioned benefits are some of the many benefits enjoyed by Australian citizens.
Australia Citizenship Key Requirements
- For you must have resided in the country for at least four years as its law abiding resident, out of the four years one year must be as a permanent resident.
- At the time of submitting the citizenship application you must have resided in the country for at least nine months in the last 12 months.
- You must be a man/woman of a good character, with no criminal background from the time you have been granted a PR Visa.
- You will have to score at least 80% in a multi choice citizenship test.
With a complete citizenship application the officials require id proofs and character certificate from you. Once your application is submitted, you have to wait for an interview call that you will receive form the DHA. After you have cleared the mandatory citizenship test and interview, you will be the guest of honor at the Australian citizenship ceremony to receive Australian Citizenship.
Role of Immigration Consultants
To get Australia Citizenship is a dream of any immigrants. Probably it’s once in a lifetime opportunity. Thus, it’s not a wise idea to take a chance. Consult an experienced immigration agent and apply under his guidance. You also have the option of doing it yourself and gathering all the information on the subject and arranging all the required documents to sail through the process though it is easier said than done.